Kimberley Fire Department urges wood stove safety

Fire Department responded to a chimney fire over the weekend

If you heat with wood

The Kimberley Fire Department responded to a chimney fire in Townsite this past weekend, and while there was minimal damage from the fire, Assistant Chief Rick Prasad said this is a good time to remind people about wood stove safety.

“As we head into colder weather more people are turning to their wood stoves and fireplaces for warmth,” Prasad said. “It is important that your chimney is clean to prevent a fire.

“Chimney fires are typically caused by an excessive build up of dirt inside a chimney’s interior. When wood burns in your fireplace, the smoke condenses into a tar-like substance called creosote. Flame and sparks in your chimney can ignite the creosote buildup causing a chimney fire to occur.

“Chimney fires are not only dangerous, they often result in expensive damage to your fireplace and chimney. Proper chimney cleaning and maintenance can ensure that you are safe and avoid costly repairs.

“In most homes a yearly professional chimney cleaning will ensure that your chimney is clear of blockages and buildup, operating efficiently, and is not at high risk for chimney fires.  For those that burn regularly it is important to consult with your professional chimney sweep to determine an effective cleaning schedule.