Alleged carjacker seeks venue move

Nicholas Bullock continued his quest to have charges he is facing in Cranbrook waved to Port Coquitlam in Cranbrook Provincial Court Monday.

Nicholas Bullock continued his quest to have charges he is facing in Cranbrook waved to Port Coquitlam in Cranbrook Provincial Court Monday.

Bullock, 26, is charged with robbery, possession of stolen property over $5,000, assault with a weapon, possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose and uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm in connection with a carjacking outside of Creston that ended in a police-involved shooting in Cranbrook.

Appearing by video from a detention facility, Bullock told Judge Grant Sheard that he would like the charges waived to Port Coquitlam, and that his lawyer had been in conversations with Crown counsel there, who are in favour of the move.

But Cranbrook Crown counsel Lianna Swanson told court that no application had been received here, nor had the Port Coquitlam-based lawyer for Bullock reached out to local Crown counsel to move the charges almost 1,000 kilometres from where the incident occurred in October.

Swanson also told Sheard that the Crown in Cranbrook is opposed to the move.

Bullock said he doesn’t understand why the charges can’t be moved to the coastal city, because his co-accused had hers waived in late 2012. Bullock’s co-accused is a female youth who was released into the custody of her mother after the incident.

With the issue unresolved, Bullock asked Sheard to put his case over longer than a few weeks, informing court that he only has a few hours a day due to a supervision program he is under. Sheard agreed, and put the matter over to March 4 by video so that Bullock could further discuss waiving his charges to Port Coquitlam with his lawyer there.