Port Moody Police Department Const. Jordan Long and Vancouver Police Department Const. Mark Simms in a photo used for an online poster by friends and family. (Facebook)

B.C. cops, once detained in Cuba on sex assault allegations, face probe at home

Vancouver Const. Mark Simms, Port Moody Const. Jason Long were cleared in November and are now home

Two B.C. police officers who spent 10 months detained in Cuba under suspicions of sexual assault will face another investigation now that they are back home.

Vancouver Const. Mark Simms and Port Moody Const. Jason Long returned to B.C on Saturday after being acquitted of sexual assault charges in November.

Their saga began last March, when a 17-year-old girl from Ontario accused them of sexually assaulting her while they travelled separately in Cuba.

A five-judge panel acquitted Simms and Long. Friends of the two officers say Cuban courts have denied prosecutors’ appeal.

READ MORE: Family of girl who accused two B.C. cops of sex assault speaks out

Here in B.C., the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner said Monday it would probe the pair under allegations of discreditable conduct.

Deputy commissioner Rollie Woods said the investigation had been suspended until the Cuban trial was wrapped up.

“Now that the officers are home and the matter is concluded in Cuba, the next step will be to take the investigation out of suspension and start examining what evidence is available and what other investigative steps need to be conducted,” Woods said in an email.

New Westminster Police Chief Const. Dave Jones has been designated as the disciplinary authority, or the third party, for the investigation and will “make decisions on the operational status” of the two officers.

The work is due to finish within six months.


@katslepian

katya.slepian@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Kimberley and District Community Foundation seeks ‘friends’

In the next couple of weeks, members of the Kimberley & District… Continue reading

The shootout at the Bechtel Ferry: 1945

On August 24, 1945, Charles Bechtel, age 66, was killed by the BC Provincial Police just south of the ranch.

Kimberley City Council approves development permit for 12-unit rental housing complex on Church Ave

The Kimberley Seniors Project Society has been waiting years to make this project a reality.

Hospice seeks clients for Live & Learn Program

After a successful two-year trial period, the Cranbrook and Kimberley Hospice Society is renewing its Live and Learn day program, and is putting out the word to prospective clients.

Kimberley Chamber planning for future

Strategic planning has led to exciting ideas, says Board member Karen Rempel

Kimberley news recap

A quick recap of the top news stories in Kimberley this week.

Rookie Demko backstops Canucks to 4-3 win over Sabres

Young Vancouver goalie makes 36 saves to turn away Buffalo

Charges upgraded against mother of murdered B.C. girl

Kerryann Lewis now faces first- rather than second-degree murder in the death of Aaliyah Rosa.

UPDATE: Injured firefighter in stable condition

Kelowna fire crews responded to a blaze at Pope’sGallery of BC Art & Photography on Friday

Rare ‘super blood wolf moon’ takes to the skies this Sunday

Celestial event happens only three times this century

Arrest made after historic B.C. church hit by arson

The fire at the 150-year-old Murray United Church in Merritt was considered a possible hate crime

B.C. dangerous offender in court for violating no-contact order, sends letter to victim

Wayne Belleville was shocked to see a letter addressed to him from his shooter, Ronald Teneycke

Crowsnest Pass RCMP seek help locating missing man

58-year-old Stuart David Duff was last seen on Jan. 6, 2019.

Man blames his loud car radio, sirens for crash with B.C. ambulance

Tribunal rejects bid to recoup ICBC costs after crash deemed 100-per-cent his fault

Most Read