Behind the scenes of Kimberley homicide

Cpl. Chris Newel talks about what goes on behind a major crime investigation; not like TV, he says

  • Mar. 17, 2013 7:00 p.m.


With the recent homicide in Kimberley, I thought it would be a good opportunity to give you an idea of what takes place.  TV is nowhere near reality.

On Friday afternoon RCMP received a phone call that caused them to check the house in Marysville.  Once inside they found a deceased male, which they deemed suspicious.

The officers had medical personnel confirm he was deceased.

The officers backed out of the house and began initiating additional resources. The house became a crime scene; it was secured and for the next four days guarded 24 hours a day by a police officer.   Everybody who had entered the house has to make very thorough notes about what they observed, their entry and egress along with anything they may have disturbed. This is very important.

The major crime team was called in, they arrived late Friday night.

At 8 a.m. on Saturday morning a briefing was held, over 20 officers participated.  This is when the investigation really picks up speed. Everyone who had been involved in the investigation to this point explained what he or she has done. This is all documented and as a result a number of tasks are identified.  The investigation began with approximately twelve full time investigators.   Two of those members have the sole job of correlating information as it was received.  They are the file coordinators. A primary investigator is assigned; he/she is an experienced member of the team who leads the investigation, monitoring the progress, assigning tasks and dealing with issues that arise.

Whenever a building belongs to or is occupied by another person especially if it’s the suspect, a search warrant is required.   Two officers began drafting a warrant.  A number of other officers begin following up on tips, conducting neighborhood inquires, doing back ground checks, talking to potential witnesses or people who had contact prior to the incident.

The next of kin needs to be notified.  In this case, two issues arose which made this difficult.  Because officers were only in the residence for a few minutes and not being familiar with the deceased we could not say positively it was him.  In addition we could not go into the house and check things such as address books and mail in an attempt to locate a relative.  Police cannot start asking around for fear of the word getting back to the family before it’s been official.   Ironically the NOK was located though Internet searches.

Once the search warrant is obtained, which was early Saturday afternoon, officers can enter the house.  Only those required are allowed in.  This is not TV where the crime scene is littered with investigators, guys dusting for fingerprints and others taking pictures.  This is limited to forensic examiners and a scene officer who assists. They conduct a very methodical detailed examination of the house.  This took three days.  Remember the scene security? That officer is still out front and he must maintain a log of everybody who enters and when they depart.

In the midst of this a second scene was identified, this meant getting another officer to guard that until an examination could be conducted.  Another search warrant is obtained

Follow up carries on for the day, a second briefing is held at 8 p.m., Saturday night.  Again each investigator goes over what they did.  As a result more tasks are generated.  Each time an investigator learns about another person or business that may have information, it becomes a task. An officer is assigned to follow that up, the list grows at each briefing.

Digital recordings were done with a large number of witnesses.   Investigators are then tasked with drafting a summary of that interview.  A witness is anybody who has information about the people involved or incident.  Some witnesses are interviewed two or three times.  This is because during the course of interviewing somebody else, new information is gained that was not known during the first interview.  Unlike TV a mere chat with a witness is not sufficient.

As the night wore on, investigators began to call it a night, the first left around 10 p.m., the latest worked until 2 a.m.  This does not include scene security that continues on.  The day for most stretched to well over 14 hours.

See Part 2 of Behind the Scenes at tomorrow.

Just Posted

Residents line up outside the Vernon Recreation Complex for their COVID-19 vaccine Saturday, June 5. (Jennifer Smith - Morning Star)
No appointments necessary for first dose COVID-19 vaccine: Interior Health

People can just show up at clinics, register on the spot and get the shot

Ryan McKenzie of the Kimberley Trails Society made an in-depth presentation to City Council describing the initial steps of the Electrify the Mountains eBike trails project. This is a look at the project one map.
Kimberley City Council hears details on Electrify the Mountain project

At the meeting of City Council on Tuesday, June 8 Ryan McKenzie… Continue reading

The Kimberley Public Library invites kids of all ages to join the 2021 BC Summer Reading Club. Kimberley Public Library file
Kimberley kids invited to join summer reading club at Public Library

The Kimberley Public Library invites kids of all ages to join the… Continue reading

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry on Thursday, June 10, mentioned Grand Forks among two other COVID “hot spots” in B.C. Photo: Screenshot - YouTube COVID-19 BC Update, June 10, 2021
PHO Henry says West Kootenay city is a COVID ‘hot spot’ in B.C.

There are 11 cases of COVID-19 in the Grand Forks local health area, according the BC CDC

At an outdoor drive-in convocation ceremony, Mount Royal University bestows an honorary Doctor of Laws on Blackfoot Elder and residential school survivor Clarence Wolfleg in Calgary on Tuesday, June 8, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
‘You didn’t get the best of me’: Residential school survivor gets honorary doctorate

Clarence Wolfleg receives honorary doctorate from Mount Royal University, the highest honour the school gives out

Police cars are seen parked outside Vancouver Police Department headquarters on Saturday, January 9, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Vancouver police officer charged with assault during an arrest in 2019

The service has released no other details about the allegations

Denmark’s Christian Eriksen receives medical attention after collapsing during the Euro 2020 soccer championship group B match between Denmark and Finland at Parken stadium in Copenhagen, Saturday, June 12, 2021. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner, Pool)
Denmark soccer player Christian Eriksen collapses during game against Finland

Eriksen was given chest compressions after collapsing on the field during a European Championship

Members of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans’ Marine Mammal Response Program rescued an adult humpback what that was entangled in commercial fishing gear in the waters off of Entrance Island on Thursday, June 10. (Photo courtesy Marine Mammal Response Program)
Rescuers free humpback ‘anchored’ down by prawn traps off Vancouver Island

Department of Fisheries and Oceans responders spend hours untangling whale

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

As stories of the horrors of residential schools circulate after the Tk’emlups te Secwepemc First Nation announced it had located what are believed to be the remains of 215 children, Grand Chief Stewart Phillip of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs said he feels a connection with the former students. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
2 sides of the same coin: Ex-foster kids identify with residential school survivors

Grand Chief Stewart Phillip says the child welfare system takes Indigenous children from their families

Nathan Watts, a member of the Tseshaht First Nation near Port Alberni, shares his story of substance use, a perspective he said isn’t seen enough. (Photo courtesy of Nathan Watts)
Public shaming, hate perpetuates further substance use: UVic researcher

Longtime addict Nathan Watts offers a user’s perspective on substance use

57-year-old Kathleen Richardson was discovered deceased in her home Wednesday, June 9, 2021. Her death is considered a homicide and connected to the slain brothers found on a Naramata forest road. (Submitted)
Condolences pour in for Kathy Richardson, Naramata’s 3rd homicide victim in recent weeks

Richardson was well liked in the community, a volunteer firefighter with a home-based salon

Most Read