Council considers finishing 200 block of Norton Ave. next year

Council considers finishing 200 block of Norton Ave. next year

At a Committee of the Whole Meeting on Monday, Nov. 6, Kimberley City Chief Financial Officer Jim Hendricks presented the 2018-2022 Financial Plan to Council.

Included in the plan are several different focus areas including Norton Avenue reconstruction, the Downtown Project, hot water system improvements at the Conference Centre, a columbarium at the Kimberley Cemetery, traffic calming measures, an asbestos management program and a land exchange with the Kimberley Golf Club.

Construction on Norton Avenue was originally planned to include the 200 block in the year of 2019. There was a request to alter the timing of the project from 2019 to 2018 and Council was presented with the option on Monday. The stipulation being phase one of construction on 4th avenue be deferred until 2019.

The Norton Avenue project involves water, sewer and storm construction as well as paving the entirety of Norton from Burdett Street to Gerry Sorensen Way.

Hendricks says that other projects planned for 2018 may have to be cancelled or deferred as well if additional budget funds are required to complete the project.

Hendricks also says that if council wishes to apply this change to the road program, it’s important that staff receive direction without delay.

“This [would] allow the Engineering Department sufficient time to design the project to facilitate release of the tender as early as possible in 2018,” said Hendricks.

In terms of feasibility, Hendricks says it’s absolutely possible.

“We can do that, we can shuffle the projects around. That’s initially how we had it when we presented it to Council last year. It ended up getting switched around a bit and we put phase one of 4th Avenue in 2018, so we will have to push that back to 2019, but we do have sufficient reserves to accommodate that shuffle,” said Hendricks.

Councillor Darryl Oakley says he thinks Norton Ave. should be given priority.

“4th ave has received enough attention to limp through,” Oakley said. “I think the priority should be given to Norton Ave., to complete that a year in advance. 4th Ave will survive; it’s rough but not brutal.”

Mayor Don McCormick says there was some “fairly significant” patching done on 4th Avenue last year, and after looking at the construction on Norton Avenue, he believes it should be prioritized as well.

“After driving by the 100 block construction this summer, I just don’t think we can leave that unfinished for two years, which is essentially what we would end up doing. It just makes sense to get the 200 done next year so that by the end of the summer we can have pavement from top to bottom and be finished with Norton Avenue,” said McCormick.

Councillor Sandra Roberts asked if making the change would put phase one and phase two of 4th Avenue in the same year, to which Hendricks replied, the phases will take place over two subsequent years, in 2019 and 2020.

Council will vote on implementing the recommendation at the next City Council Meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 14.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

A woman wearing a face mask to curb the spread of COVID-19 uses walking sticks while walking up a hill, in New Westminster, B.C., on Sunday, November 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Interior Health reports 83 more COVID-19 infections overnight

46 cases are now associated with a COVID-19 community cluster in Revelstoke

The Kimberley Nordic Club has outlined their plans for a safe season of winter sport amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Photo courtesy of Kimberley Nordic Centre.
Kimberley Nordic Club details plans for safe season of winter sport

The Kimberley Nordic Club has released their plan to re-open for the… Continue reading

A man wearing a face mask to prevent the spread of COVID-19 walks past a mural in Vancouver on Monday, Nov. 30, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel
212 new COVID-19 cases in Interior Health over the weekend

A total of 490 cases remain active; 15 in hospital

(Black Press file photo)
RCMP seeking driver of burnt out car found on HaHa Creek Road

Cranbrook RCMP are looking for the driver of a vehicle that was found on fire Monday

Starting in January of 2021, the RDEK will be removing yellow bins designated for glass collections. East Kootenay residents will be able to recycle their glass at one of the many Recycle BC depots across the region. (RDEK file)
Changes coming to RDEK glass recycling program

Starting in January 2021, glass will no longer be collected through the yellow bin program

A tongue-in-cheek message about wearing a face mask to curb the spread of COVID-19 on a sign outside a church near Royal Columbia Hospital, in New Westminster, B.C., on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C.’s COVID-19 infection count climbs back up to 656

20 more people in hospital, active cases still rising

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
B.C. researchers launch study to test kids, young adults for COVID-19 antibodies

Kids and youth can often be asymptomatic carriers of the novel coronavirus

A sign is seen this past summer outside the Yunesit’in Government office west of Williams Lake reminding visitors and members to stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic. (Rebecca Dyok photo)
B.C. First Nation leaders await privacy commissioner decision on COVID-19 information

Release of life-saving data cannot wait, says coalition of First Nations

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

MLA Jennifer Whiteside is B.C.’s new minister of education. She is speaking out against Chilliwack school trustee Barry Neufeld and asking him to resign. (Black Press)
New education minister calls on Chilliwack trustee to resign

Whiteside echoes former minister’s promise to look at options to remove Barry Neufeld

Peter Beckett. ~ File photo
Supreme Court of Canada to decide if it will hear appeal in 2010 wife murder trial

Peter Beckett has stood trial twice for murder in connection with the death of his wife, Laura Letts-Beckett

Tabor Home in Abbotsford. (Ben Lypka/Abbotsford News)
B.C.’s largest COVID-19 care-home outbreak records 19 deaths, 147 cases

Tabor Home in Abbotsford has been battling outbreak since Nov. 4

Most Read