Food bank use on the rise in Kimberley

Nationally, provincially and in Kimberley, more and more people are accessing food banks

A recent report, HungerCount 2012, says that the number of Canadians turning to food banks for help is at an all-time high, with 882,000 people (339,000 of them children) seeking some assistance from a food bank this year.

After dipping slightly in 2011, food bank use in Canada increased by 2.4 per cent this year, and is now 31 per cent higher than before the 2008-2009 recession.

Right here in Kimberley, food bank usage is up 7 per cent, says Food Bank director Heather Smith.

A slight bit of good news is that the increase this year is a little less than the year before when 10 per cent more people accessed the food bank.

“But we still have a lot of people,” Smith said.

And a lot of them are children in Kimberley as well. Smith says the Food Bank handed out regular hampers to 874 children and their families, and emergency hampers to 563.

As the Food Bank gears up for the Christmas season, Smith expects between 190 and 200 seasonal hampers to go out as well.

Fundraising for the Christmas hampers is underway, but the Food Bank continues to rely on donations for regular hampers as well.

“So far donations are a little slow for this time of year, but that will pick up,” Smith said. “We are still supported very well by the community.”

Many of the Food Bank’s clientele are the working poor, or seasonal workers. Smith says they often see a little easing in January as the ski hill is in full operation and many casual workers begin to see their first pay cheques.

“The ski hill is opening a little earlier this year, if there’s snow, so that will help. Once they start getting bookings, the housekeepers and waitresses go back to work. Hopefully by January things will get a little better, but then in winter, you have the utility bills much higher and of course, groceries have gone up substantially.”

The HungerCount 2012 study also found that:

11 per cent of those receiving food each month – 93,000 people – are accessing a food bank for the first time.

One in five households assisted by food banks have income from current or recent employment.

21 per cent of households helped are living on an old age or disability pension.

Half of households receiving food are families with children.

Just Posted

Castlegar bridge designed by architect of collapsed Italian bridge

Riccardo Morandi designed the Kinnaird Bridge, which is part of Highway 3.

Interior Health evacuates Kimberley facilities

Residents at Kimberley Special Care Home and Garden View Village evacuted

Latest report from BC Wildfire Service

BC Wildfire Service says Meachen Creek fire settled down again Thursday evening, after high winds kicked it up

UPDATE: Fire forces closures and delays on Highway 3 at Kootenay Pass

Motorists should detour using Kootenay Lake ferry

Kimberley under evacuation alert; be prepared

Information on what to do; expect

PHOTOS: B.C. city wakes up to darkness under wildfire smoke

The rest of the province also dealing with thick haze as smoky skies continue

Safeway union urges prejection of mediator recommendations

Says mediator asks for too many concessions

Fire chases B.C. crews out of their own camp

Crews in Burns Lake had to leave after a wildfire reportedly overtook their sleeping quarters

To address peacock problem, B.C. city moves ahead on trapping plan

Surrey’s new bylaw focuses on ensuring people no longer feed the birds, ahead of relocation

Hospitals to see ‘delays’ in care after losing Saudi students, health group says

About 1,000 Saudi residents called back to kingdom after suspending diplomatic relations with Canada

Bernier diatribe against ‘extreme multiculturalism’ boosts Liberal coffers

Party spokesperson Braeden Caley says online donations doubled, social media engagement quadrupled

‘Disjointed’ system hinders British Columbia First Nations in wildfire fight

More than 550 wildfires were burning in B.C. and crews were bracing for wind and dry lightning

Federal government announces over $115 million to Royal Canadian Navy

Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan was at Victoria’s CFB Esquimalt to announce missile system upgrades

RCMP nab prolific car thief after month-long, B.C.-wide search

A province-wide warrant was issued for Brian Robert Stephan in June for a litany of offences

Most Read