Fundraiser started to support young burn victim and his family

Nine-year-old Jax Shannon is receiving care for severe burns in Vancouver

On July 1, nine-year-old Cranbrook local Jax Shannon had an accident while getting ready to have a bonfire. After being rushed to hospital, he was flown to the BC Children’s Hospital in Vancouver to receive treatment for first and second degree burns and tissue, nerve and muscle damage.

An extended family member has organized a Gofundme page in order to help support Jax and his family through this extremely difficult time while they are relocated in Vancouver, travelling back and forth from Cranbrook and being forced to miss work.

Melanie Kilpatrick, Jax’s mom’s cousin, reached out to the Townsman to share his story and fundraising campaign.

“He’s recovering right now, he had a long surgery yesterday so we were all obviously quite anxious about that,” Kilpatrick said. “He’s definitely fighting some fevers and different things that kick off as a result of having your body in such a state. So he’s stable and we’re looking forward to hearing how the skin grafts are taking.”

Kilpatrick said that Jax is stable and the family is now looking forward to hearing how the skin grafts are taking. He had to undergo over three hours of surgery, with doctors removing skin from other parts of his body.

Jax suffered severe burns on eight to 12 per cent of his body with tissue damage to his back, torso, armpit and arm. After the initial surgeries, Jax has a long road of recovery ahead, that will involve physiotherapy, specific medical equipment and counselling.

“He has to remain very immobile and I don’t know how long that is but it’s a big part of the recovery,” Kilpatrick said. “So it’s pretty rough. His mom and his dad and … all his siblings are in Vancouver with him now.”

Kilpatrick is currently located in Victoria and said she will be heading to Vancouver soon to visit him and bring him a Spiderman comic book. Despite the trauma he’s experienced, the Kilpatrick says the young man has a remarkable disposition about everything.

“My cousin tells me that she can’t believe his spirit,” she said. “He’s been so funny and her and I were talking one day and we both started to cry a little bit and he’s in the room in the hospital and he’s like ‘mummy, mummy, what’s wrong?’ It’s pretty amazing — he’s in very good spirits.”

The family was also blown away by how Jax handled the situation as it was unfolding. Jax and his dad were getting ready to light their campfire when it happened.

“He was with his father,” Kilpatrick said, “and the thing that’s staggering us all is he was alone at the moment when this happened so he proceeded to roll on the ground to try to put the fire out and when it didn’t work he went to get the water hose.”

“I can’t even imagine for a little nine-year-old guy what that would have been like,” she continued. “To self-solve that, number one, because it was incredibly severe the burns he had so we’re all just amazed at what he pulled off in that moment.”

The family does not yet know how long they will need to stay in Vancouver, but it will be a month at minimum. They are currently staying in an apartment at the burn centre in Vancouver.

“We’re sort of figuring it out day to day, what that’s going to look like.”

Kilpatrick said her cousin told her she “would never want to ask for money from anybody.”

“I said ‘I know you wouldn’t, but sometimes people just want to do something to help and that’s what they can do,’” Kilpatrick said. “And of course the family definitely will need some money to help them get through this time, being away from their house and with little kids and everything, so I know that it will help them in the end.”

An in true Cranbrook form, the community has come out to support this cause and as of 2 p.m. on Wednesday, July 10 the campaign has reached over $2,400.

“I think just thank you to any support form the community. I know that even though they’re not there right now that it’s going to feel like a big hug from them.”

Kilpatrick said that the horrific story also serves as a warning for others — the polyester pyjamas Jax had on were extremely flammable and just a small spark set them ablaze.

“You never know around fire, and that’s the thing, a spark can fly and if it’s the wrong material then it could be a problem.”

You can donate to Jax’s fundraiser here.



paul.rodgers@cranbrooktownsman.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Kimberley Health Care Auxiliary celebrates volunteers

122 people volunteered this year, and their success was celebrated at the annual Christmas luncheon

Lynx basking in the sun in Bow Valley

Here’s something you don’t see every day. Kimberley resident Carol Flowers snapped… Continue reading

RCMP investigate Saturday night stabbing in Cranbrook

Cranbrook RCMP are investigating a stabbing incident after being called to the… Continue reading

Kimberley’s Kaila Buchy will skip team at BC Juniors later this month

Kaila Buchy has been making waves in BC curling circles for several… Continue reading

BC Assessment expects property values to rise slightly over 10 per cent in Kimberley

Property value assessments will be delivered in early January to homeowners

VIDEO: Octopus, bald eagle battle after bird ‘bites off more than it can chew’ in B.C. waters

B.C. crew films fight between the two feisty animals in Quatsino off north Vancouver Island

Process to identify those killed in Gabriola plane crash could take days

Canadian flight museum suggests Alex Bahlsen of Mill Bay died in Tuesday’s crash

‘Honest mistake:’ RCMP says B.C. cannabis shop can keep image of infamous Mountie

Sam Steele wearing military, not RCMP uniform in image depicted in Jimmy’s Cannabis window

B.C. conservation officers put down fawn blinded by pellet gun on Vancouver Island

Young deer found near construction site in Hammond Bay area in Nanaimo, B.C.

Laid-off forest workers converge on B.C. legislature

Loggers call for action on strike, provincial stumpage

B.C. guide fined $2K in first conviction under new federal whale protection laws

Scott Babcock found guilty of approaching a North Pacific humpback whale at less than 100 metres

Feds urge Air Canada to fix booking problems as travel season approaches

The airline introduced the new reservation system more than three weeks ago

Almost 14,000 Canadians killed by opioids since 2016: new national study

17,000 people have been hospitalized for opioid-related poisoning

Chevron’s move to exit Kitimat LNG project a dash of ‘cold water’ for gas industry

Canada Energy Regulator approved a 40-year licence to export natural gas for Kitimat LNG

Most Read