Five homes were evacuated in Kimberley on Wednesday night after a gas leak, the Kimberley Fire Department reports.
Assistant Chief Rick Prasad says that the situation began at 1:40 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon when a gas service line was broken in Lower Blarchmont during an excavation.
“Twelve homes lost power and gas,” Prasad said. “Gas was turned off because of the potential for it to migrate into homes. A few people spent the night out.”
In total five homes could be considered to have been evacuated, though no formal reception centre was set up.
“Kimberley is pretty great that way,” Prasad said. “Everyone knows everyone and wants to help out. People just went to friends’ houses.”
The Kimberley Fire Department left the scene at about 11 p.m. and the gas crews were on the scene until the early hours of the morning.