Kimberley City Council discussed the RCMP contract at their regular meeting on June 22, 2020.

Kimberley City Council approves policing contract in principle

Kimberley City Council has approved in principle that the Kimberley RCMP Detachment will be staffed with eight full time equivalent municipal officers. However, Council has also directed administration and the RCMP NCO to manage members transfers and leaves so that staff is at seven full time equivalent members.

This is something that the Detachment does every year, Mayor Don McCormick says.

In a report to Council, Chief Corporate Officer Maryse Leroux said that as a community with a population under 15,000 , each year the City of Kimberley is obligated under the Municipal Police Service Agreement of 2012 to pay 70 per cent of the cost of providing and maintaining the RCMP’s municipal police unit in Kimberley. The Federal Government funds the remaining 30 per cent.

On an annual basis, the RCMP require a letter of approval in principle stating the number of FTE members required for the next RCMP fiscal year and estimating the resulting contract cost for the provision of policing in Kimberley. The purpose of the letter is not to commit the City to the numbers reflected in the letter, but to provide the RCMP with information for budgeting purposes and allow them to ensure that the Federal Treasury Board can secure their share of the municipal contract costs.

Historically, the practice of the City of Kimberley has been to provide a letter approving eight FTE members for the municipal police unit and subsequently requesting that the RCMP manage the local unit such that the actual number of FTE members utilized is

maintained at seven. As such, the City budgets for 7 FTE members and maintains an RCMP Contract Reserve ($259,886 balance at Dec, 31, 2019) to fund any budget overages resulting from the unit exceeding that level of staffing.

RCMP

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Cam Reid receives the 2020 Jerry Bancks Award

Cameron Reid is the recipient of the Jerry Bancks Award for 2020.… Continue reading

Provincial COVID-19 data can now be used for B.C. to prepare for a second wave

In the past week, B.C. has seen a slight spike in daily test-positive case counts

Kimberley Health Care Auxiliary reopens thrift shops

Kimberley and Marysville locations now open

Birthday wishes come true as Kimberley girl reunited with her cat

Cat was missing for a month, reunited with owners because SPCA was able to trace microchip

Gray Creek Pass now open

The Gray Creek Pass is now open again, after a new bridge… Continue reading

Islanders want BC Ferries to follow order that lets residents board before tourists

For ferry-dependent communities, ferries are often the sole practical lifeline to work, school or medical appointments.

Beverly Hills 90210 star’s family selling Vancouver Island Beach Resort

You can own Jason Priestley’s Terrace Beach Resort in Ucluelet for less than $5 million

Genetic detectives begin work to trace spread of COVID-19 in Canada

The kinds of genetic technology being used for this project did not exist when SARS hit Canada in 2003

Sports fishers protest Fraser River Chinook closures

Public Fishery Alliance wants hatchery fish open for harvest

Amber Alert for two Quebec girls cancelled after bodies found

Romy Carpentier, 6, Norah Carpentier, 11, and their father, Martin Carpentier, missing since Wednesday

B.C. man prepares to be first to receive double-hand transplant in Canada

After the surgery, transplant patients face a long recovery

Grocers appear before MPs to explain decision to cut pandemic pay

Executives from three of Canada’s largest grocery chains have defended their decision to end temporary wage increases

Bringing support to Indigenous students and communities, while fulfilling a dream

Mitacs is a nonprofit organization that operates research and training programs

Most Read