Kitchen fire quickly extinguished in Cranbrook apartment

25 residents evacuated from building due to smoke Tuesday night

  • Feb. 4, 2015 6:00 a.m.

25 residents of an apartment on 12th Street North in Cranbrook safely left their suites after a small kitchen fire Tuesday night began filling the building with smoke – thanks to the buildings recently serviced fire alarm system.

Cranbrook Fire & Emergency Services responded to the alarm from the apartment complex at 2201 12th Street North at approximately 9:14pm Tuesday night. Fire and emergency crews responded with one engine and 14 firefighters, along with EHS and RCMP personnel. Upon arrival, crews found signs of smoke and entered the building.

All affected residents were accounted for and were found congregated at the front of the building. There were no injuries. “This is a perfect example of how having proper fire detection equipment and a solid fire safety plan can ensure the safety of residents not just in an apartment fire, but single family homes and businesses,” says Scott Driver, Deputy Director of Fire and Emergency Services. “This is exactly how the process is supposed to work and highlights why having a working alarm system and safety plan is so important. It works.”

Crews discovered the fire isolated to a single suite and the fire was quickly extinguished. Once the building was cleared of smoke, the building was deemed safe and all residents were allowed to return home.