Skip to content

Local man recovering from grizzly attack

Wilf Lloyd making progress, while a fund has been established to help the family cover costs.
Wilf Lloyd with his two grandchildren.

It will be a long road to recovery for Wilf Lloyd, a local Cranbrook man who is recovering in Calgary Foothills hospital after a grizzly attack while elk hunting near Fernie.

On the evening of Sat. Oct. 11, Lloyd, along with son in law Skeet Podrasky, had shot at an elk just before dark. Based on the animal's reaction, Lloyd was sure they had missed the elk, but just to be sure, they returned the next morning for a more exhaustive search.

Upon returning the next day, the two were unable to find any sign of a wounded elk.

However while hiking throughout he bush, the men were charged by an adult male grizzly bear. Without time to react, the bear was on top of Lloyd, brutally biting and mauling him. While fighting the attacking bear, Lloyd yelled to his son in law to quickly shoot the grizzly. Podrasky emptied his gun into the bear, shooting three times.

The wounded grizzly ceased the attack momentarily, running into the surrounding brush. Podrasky, now out of bullets, founds Lloyd's rifle as the enraged animal charged again, shooting him several more times to end the attack.

In the chaos of the moment one of the initial three shots inadvertently struck Lloyd in the thigh.

Family friend, Darrell Orth, notes Podrasky's actions saved Lloyd's life along with the first responders,including Fernie Ambulance, Search and Rescue, STAR Air Ambulance and Podrasky's cousin, Jennifer and her husband Andrew.

Lloyd, 55, will be unable to return to his taxidermy business in Cranbrook during his recovery from his injuries. Friends have set up an online fund for those wishing to assist the family at this time.

For more information on the fundraising effort, visit:


Trevor Crawley

About the Author: Trevor Crawley

Trevor Crawley has been a reporter with the Cranbrook Townsman and Black Press in various roles since 2011.
Read more