The Cranbrook RCMP is warning dog owners about a suspicious item was found at Moir Park on Monday and has sent it off for testing.
The police do not know if it connected to incidents up at the southern end of the Community Forest, where three dogs died after eating a white fatty substance that owners are blaming on a chemical poison.
The substance in the Community Forest was found a few hundred feet into the trail at the upper parking lot on the corner of Baker Mountain Rd.
Cranbrook RCMP ask local citizens to pay special attention to their pets when using local forests and parks. Consider keeping pets on leash or utilizing a muzzle to reduce the risk of ingesting harmful items.
Cranbrook RCMP are working closely with the RDEK, City of Cranbrook and the Ministry of Environment to reduce the risk to our local pet population as we attempt to identify the person or persons responsible
RCMP are asking anyone with information about this matter to call police at 250-489-3471 or if you wish to report your information anonymously, please call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Information can also be relayed via web or text based tips with details on canadiancrimestoppers.org.