It may not have all the technological wonders of those imagined in the old Jetsons cartoon, but the Future Home — coming to Kimberley courtesy of TELUS — does offer a glimpse into what is possible with today’s technology.
TELUS will be setting up their 560-square foot Future Home at the Kimberley Aquatic Centre beginning Sunday, October 1 unto Thursday, October 6 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. The public is invited to tour during those hours.
TELUS has made a significant investment in Kimberley with a $10.5 million PureFibre network installed,and the Future Home provides an example of what can be done with that kind of speed.
The 560-square-foot Future Home showcases some of the most cutting-edge technology available today and provides a sneak peek at smart-home innovations on the horizon. TELUS collaborated with technology leaders including Samsung, Nokia, and Withings to envision the Future Home and bring the near-term possibilities enabled by dramatically faster Internet speeds to life.
The 560-square-foot Future Home is a concept home built to simulate a small condo. It offers an immersive technology experience that demonstrates how technology will make our lives safer, healthier and more efficient than ever before:
• Biometric security systems will allow us to secure and unlock our homes using facial recognition; we’ll never have to search for keys again.
• Smart fridges will help plan our menus while smart cooktops will guide us through new recipes with a step-by-step instructions and even calculate the nutritional value of our meals to make sure we stay on track with our wellness plans.
• A connected home office with an interactive touch table can make commuting a thing of the past and could be a lifesaver when we’re too sick (or busy) to go to the doctor’s office; instead we can virtually visit with our doctors over high-definition video conference.
• Intelligent thermostats will reduce energy costs; enabling us to control heating conveniently from our smartphones or tablets.
• Connected sensors and cameras will allow us to remotely monitor our children, pets and even our plants on our smartphones.
• Next-generation home entertainment will bring the movie-theatre experience right into our living rooms when the 4K ultra HD Optik TV experience is brought to life on a 78” Samsung Curved UHD TV.
All Future Home visitors can enter a contest for a chance to win a prize pack, courtesy of Samsung, which includes a 55” Samsung UHD LED Smart TV (retail value $1,600), a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 LTE 9.7 (retail value $600) and a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (retail value $850).